Sunday, May 27, 2007

Cain and Abel

Looking back on the post Cervantes wrote on Genesis 4:8-16, and trying not to belabor any of my previous points about literary construction, I’ll get straight to the exegesis.

Murder. It’s about murder. Killing is wrong. If you kill, you will be banished from the presence of the Lord. To be unable to commune with the Lord, then, becomes a supreme punishment. If being with God is the definition of heaven, then not being with God is the definition of hell.

Notice “am I my brother’s keeper?” is a lame rhetorical question. In other words, we are responsible for one another.

Notice there is no death penalty. Just sayin’.

So I don’t have a problem with all of the other people. As I said before, I don’t take the Bible literally; just looks like we missed part of the story.

Labels: ,