Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Where I'm Coming From

"Ah, love, let us be true to one another!"

Beautiful! Thank you, Matthew Arnold.

The enlightenment and science have indeed shaken the foundation of religious faith for many, but not for all. I have the greatest admiration and respect for those like Cervantes and Dread Pirate Roberts, who have formed a strong moral and ethical core within themselves without the aid of religious faith. In a sense, you could say that both are stronger than I. I don't know if I could have done that on my own.

My moral core comes from The Bible, with the central focus on the Jesus of the Gospels, who is the model for me as to how to live my life. Jesus has his roots very much in the Old Testament, therefore, I am eternally grateful to the Jews for preserving these books for us. There can be no real understanding of Jesus Christ without attention to his roots in Judaism. So it is, that the Old Testament stories and songs, and the prophets are another major source of strength and inspiration to me.

My hope is that the four of us can have a respectful dialog on the happenings of the day, and that we may find that we have much more in common than we may now know. We hope others out there will join in. The God I worship is the God of love, and forgiveness, and mercy, and justice. Cervantes and Dread Pirate Roberts are already, to me, godly men. Guys, I hope this does not offend you. I mean it as a compliment.

My blog name is Latin for, literally, "mistress of the household," named "Grace".

materfamilias gratia